logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vanessa del Rio de Janeiro  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:59:09 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

I was really disappointed by your review of Frutivale Station, guys. I don't think the movie tried to make Oscar Grant look like a saint at all. Why would director Ryan Coogler depict Oscar's dope usage and selling, his time in jail, his temper and how he lost his job for being chronically late? The guy wasn't depicted so much as a "saint" as he was someone who had made mistakes and was trying to turn himself around for his girlfriend and their child.

Along with 12 Years A Slave, no movie touched me so emotionally as Frutivale Station did. I saw it on a Monday with my wife and we both cried and again on the following Sunday with my sisters and cried all over again. The reality of what happened to Oscar Grant plays out far too often for this to be just another sad tearjerker. This shit is real and maybe too real for some.

It's too bad you guys didn't connect with the film in the way I did. It ticked me off at the time when Fruitvale Station wasn't reviewed by the Spill crew when it first was released, but if it had been I wouldn't have been surprised if Martin and Korey responded a bit differently than you did. Maybe this is one of those times it's true it's a Black thing and you don't understand.
Chris  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:02:00 PM(UTC)
Chris

Groups: Registered, Administrators
Man
United States

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 132 post(s)
I'm certainly aware that the general feeling about "Fruitvale Station" is much more positive than Brian and I reacted to it. Perhaps I should have emphasized that I do think it was a good movie, it was that the character didn't seem realistically drawn to me, more so than it being a total brush up job on him. I certainly think it was a good movie, but I wasn't as moved by it as many folks seemed to have been, and I wish I could have been. Who knows, maybe it was the mood I was in. Maybe it is a black thing (I don't think so, but I'm willing to acknowledge 'maybe'). Either way, I'd still strongly recommend it to people to check out for themselves, if for no other reason, than the strong performances.
--Because I said so, that's why.
Brian  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:20:45 PM(UTC)
Brian

Man
United States

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 69 post(s)
If you listen, what I actually said was that the film had been criticized by others for making the lead out to be a saint, but that I myself didn't have all the necessary information to make a call one way or the other. You're disagreeing with me, but that wasn't even my argument.
"It's okay with me"
UserPostedImage
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2014 2:52:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
United States

Originally Posted by: Brian Go to Quoted Post
If you listen, what I actually said was that the film had been criticized by others for making the lead out to be a saint, but that I myself didn't have all the necessary information to make a call one way or the other. You're disagreeing with me, but that wasn't even my argument.

Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, B.S. (I'm sure that's not the first time your initials have been used against you BigGrin)

But the song remains the same essentially and that is I am not surprised or shocked that the story of Oscar Grant does not resonate with you or Chris the way it does for me. There are differences on how movies are experienced based upon our varying cultural experiences and not to get all political and shit, but I doubt an Oscar Grant or Trayvon Martin or Jonathan Ferrell or Renisha McBride (Google it)resonate with a young White male the way it does to an older Black male.

That is not to say my worldview is better or superior to yours. Only different.

Don't get it twisted. I love your podcast and One of Us has the potential to blow away Spill once you guys get it figured out what works and what doesn't. This is very much a work in progress, but for all the fits and starts, the potential is here for something special and I'm with you for the long haul (look! I'm gonna buy Thief based upon your recommendation and from your link!).

But I remain disappointed Fruitvale Station didn't hit home for you. I look forward to when you get a chance to review my other favorite film of 2013, 12 Years A Slave. Dancing

Chris  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:19:22 AM(UTC)
Chris

Man
United States

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 132 post(s)
For the record, "12 Years a Slave" absolutely blew me away and was one of my very favorite films this year. While I don't think it's fair to use the arguments you do, as they may indeed not be applicable on a case to case basis, I will agree that it's probably true for many, and maybe even for me. I've always been as shocked and angered by misuse of authority and police brutality more so than many. There's a reason I grew up wearing Dead Kennedys T-shirts. Seeing "Fruitvale Station" certainly touched some of those nerves, but not necessarily specific ones tied to fear as a person of color when dealing with the police. I don't feel like that was the dominant theme, so I don't feel like your argument applies, but it's hard to really know what exactly is going on inside ourselves emotionally, and I remind you, even harder to judge what's really going on inside of someone else.
--Because I said so, that's why.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply